Sunday, September 16, 2012

Ages since

Ages since I have posted here. Partly busyness, partly being frequently in the parish of which I am the Priest in Charge. Bit hard to post on Sunday by Sunday things without people thinking a finger is being pointed at them!

So, in general terms, noting that I do get to a few other services, what am I observing?

(1) Review and revise. Much of what we do has a background. We were right to begin doing certain things in a certain way at a certain time. But months, or even years later, should we keep doing it that way? Review might confirm the way things are going as being the right way to keep going. But it might open the question of revision. Change!

(2) Minimal is good. Always good, in any of the different types of services I am involved in, to flow with minimal leadership. Because people know what to do and when to do it, without being invited or directed to do so.

(3) Inclusive language watch.  I have been noticing lately that some versions of the Bible (even though approved for use in our church) are very exclusive in their language. In short: too much 'men', 'man', 'he', 'him' when the context is God addressing all of us, women and men. Could we try harder to use (say) the NRSV?


3 comments:

Teri said...

"Always good, in any of the different types of services I am involved in, to flow with minimal leadership. Because people know what to do and when to do it, without being invited or directed to do so."
- Peter

Hi Peter,
I have to disagree with this. If everyone in a service knows what to do without being directed to do it, that suggests to me that there are no new people coming to the service and that's not a great thing.

I remember very clearly the first time I sat in an Anglican service, how awkward I felt, how i didn't know what to do and felt like I was always half a step behind everyone else.

I think good leadership may be minimal, but it is critical because if we are really doing and being this church thing as we should, then not everyone who comes to our Sunday services will know what to do and when to do it.

liturgy said...

Great post, Peter; good to see this site back in action.

Sorry, Teri - I'm siding with Peter.

There should be an expectation by the community that new people will be there every Sunday. And surprise on the rare occasion that there isn't a new person at worship.

Members of the community should take for granted that they will invite and accompany new people to the service.

Anyone who arrives without such accompaniment (eg. having arrived following reading on the community's vibrant website) there should be people within the community who are good at seeing how to make the new person feel as much at home as possible.

NB - all this is part of the ministry of the laity. For the ordained to usurp this is a return to clericalism.

Presiding is not focusing on the presider - the service flows with minimal leadership, because worship is a community activity - not a show.

In too many Anglican services we are all made to feel like newcomers, like visitors. The new person should get a sense that this is a community that has met before - not the impression that there is no ongoing worship life here.

Blessings

Bosco

hogsters said...

I bought my NRSV in 1990 and have been using it preach from for 22 years now. Its not just the inclusive language which is great the way it translates certain words. While I like and use he NIV also I still recon the NRSV translates better in a higher proportion of times.